Monday, August 07, 2006

Why Is He Burning Up?

Okay, so I'm out on ride this past weekend and get hooked up in a small group with a guy I used to work with. Probably one of the nicest guys out there, and arguably one of the best road racers in Texas. You all know Texas is bigger than France, right? So our first stop this guy is drinking a big 'ol bottle of one of those premixed out of the cooler type drinks and I'm thinking to myself, I can't believe this guy is so dang strong and he drinks that stuff! I know he's heard my pitch about Eload and why it's so much better than anything else out there, but then again, this guy can kick my a$$ on the bike with his eyes closed. So I keep my mouth shut and we hit the road again. Well, it's getting hot. I think the heat index that day was supposed to get up to 108 degrees and we were on the bike for about 4 hours ending by high noon. So about 2 1/2-3 hours into the ride he starts making comments about the heat. I'm watching his bottles and he's just not drinking much at all. Of course I'm drinking about 2 1/2 bottles an hour of Eload and I'm quite comfortable with the temperature. After a little while longer he's got his jersey all the way unzipped. It's not too much longer after that he takes it off completely and stuffs it in the back of his bibshorts. He makes more and more mention about the heat and all I can do is watch in amazement. It's so clear to me and what I've learned about hydration that this guy is starting to suffer from dehydration and lack of electrolytes. See, electrolytes help your body maintain the fluids that you take in for use in your muscle tissues and they are also vital in regulating your blood pressure. His heat tolerance was getting lower and lower very quickly. He had mentioned about a hard ride he had done the previous week and that it took him several days to recover from training in the heat and it was clear to me as to why. You've got to drink! You've got to replace your electrolytes! Think of it this way, you wouldn't train your body to run a marathon by only running 5 miles at a time would you? Why train your body for things without the proper electrolytes and fluid to carry them through your exercise? If all things were equal between me and this guy, training, natural talent, experience, just because I know how to better hydrate and use Eload, I'd be kicking his can and everyone elses all around Texas! But alas, all I can do is dream about having that talent, time for training and experience. I'll just have to stick to arming others with the knowledge I have so they can do big things. C'mon brother, ask me how!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home